Baroque churches worth seeing, like the Asam church at Rohr Abbey in the picturesque landscape of the Hallertau hop-growing area, await you on the Bavarian Baroque Tour.
This circular tour starts from Rohr in Niederbayern, right in front of Rohr Abbey and the Asam church. It leads first of all out of Rohr in a southerly direction to the little town of Obereulenbach, where the very next baroque church awaits the cyclist. Uphill then to Gressau, and shortly afterwards the highest point of the tour is reached. Downhill again through a forest as far as Wildenberg and Pürkwang, where the church of St Andrew likewise contains baroque elements.
Passing extensive hop gardens, the route takes you on to Kirchdorf. Here there is a little village shop and also a beer garden which is a good place to stop off. The route carries on to Offenstetten and Sallingberg with its baroque church of St Michael, which stands on a hill from where there is a delightful view. Via Helchenbach the tour continues to Adlhausen before crossing the Grosse Laaber and heading for Laaber and Laaberberg. Here you will find the baroque pilgrimage church of the Presentation of the Virgin, which has close historical links with Rohr Abbey.
On the last section of the route you will pass a large number of fruit trees, which you are welcome to help yourself from in autumn. A baroque highlight awaits here in the shape of the magnificent Asam abbey church of the Assumption, attached to Rohr Abbey, with its impressive high altar and the apparently free-floating figure of the Virgin. In the adjacent former granary of the abbey there is an inn with a beer garden which makes an excellent place to finish the tour.
Tourismusverband im Landkreis Kelheim e.V.
Author’s map recommendations
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.