The Heaven & Hell Tour starts at the market square in Painten. Leaving the town it follows a cycle path through the forest on a gentle hilly stretch at first, as far as the Wallner Chapel. From there you go downhill and through the forest again as far as Sausthal, where there is an observatory and places to stop off, as well as a high rope course, open by arrangement.
Continuing through the forest you go downhill at first before going uphill again on a forest road. Before it gets easier again and heads back towards the valley, you can make a detour to Randeck Castle. Through Randeck Forest the route takes you into the Galgen Valley and then through Kaisdorf uphill again to Baiersdorf, from where you have the option of going to Prunn Castle. After Baiersdorf the tour takes you downhill into the Emmer Valley, and then immediately starts climbing again to the little town of Ried.
From there it’s a hilly section all the way to Maierhofen where there are places for cyclists to stop off, shortly before completing the tour. There is one more uphill stretch, to the highest point of the tour, and then downhill back to Painten.
Author’s map recommendations
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.