The tour starts from the market square in Mainburg before wending its way through the extensive green hop gardens.
Leaving the town you go first of all via Sandelzhausen and Großgundertshausen towards Böham. From there you can also reach Volkenschwand, where the Grosse Laaber cycle path starts. The next town along the route is Attenhofen. One of the attractions here is the Hop Experience guided tours for groups through the local hop growers’ fields. Please book in advance!
Continue through idyllic villages until you reach Unterwangenbach. Here you can make a side trip to Ratzenhofen, where you can stop off in the picturesque castle beer garden, or alternatively to Elsendorf, where you can enjoy an outstanding view of the hop fields in the ‘Hallertau hop heaven’. The route then follows the Abens cycle path along the idyllic Abens back to Mainburg.
Author’s map recommendations
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.