The Water and Sulphur Tour starts in the spa town of Bad Abbach. From the market place it runs first of all past the castle hill and via Peising to Frauenbründl, a pilgrimage church with an 18th century hermitage. Woods and meadows line the route as it continues through Saalhaupt and uphill to the highest point of the tour. The shade of the woods is particularly welcome in summer.
After that you go through Teugn, a small town with a nearby wood where there is a sulphur spring. There is also a great adventure playground for children here. Then comes the water that gives the tour its name: the path runs along the Teugner Mühlbach mill stream to the Danube, which you cross at the lock bridge. On the far side the route continues by way of Poikam towards the Freizeitinsel camp site, where you should plan a detour on hot days to cool off at the Inselbad Bad Abbach outdoor swimming pool, a natural pool with a biological cleaning system.
You continue along the Danube, past Bad Abbach lock, as far as Matting. Here, one of the special features of the tour awaits cyclists: a cable ferry, with no motor and using only the power of the current, takes you across to the other side. The route follows the Danube cycle path, always hugging the river, with a view of the sheer Oberndorfer Hänge and thus back to the starting point at Bad Abbach. The spa is an ideal place to unwind after the tour, in the relaxing surroundings of the spa gardens and the Kaiser Therme baths.
Rest StopHotel-Cafè-Rathaus "Zum Fischerwirt"
Tips and hints
Die Seilfähre in Matting ist ganzjährig in Betrieb - nur bei Hochwasser muss bereits auf Höhe des Inselbads über die Brücken zurück nach Bad Abbach gefahren werden.
Ab Herbst 2017: Wald-Wasser-Erlebnis Teugn mit Spielplatz und Informationstafeln bei der Schwefelquelle bei Teugn
Author’s map recommendations
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.