You leave Abensberg heading south. After crossing the Abens and the Gillamoos fairground you follow the Abens cycle path towards Biburg. The abbey church in Biburg is one of the most important monuments from the Romanesque period and stands in an idyllic setting bordered by a little stream which flows into the Abens behind the abbey building complex.
Passing the Chapel of the Redeemer, you carry on out through the wetlands of the Abens water meadows to Siegenburg. The German Hop Picking Championships are held here every year, in the heart of hop-growing country. Shortly after Siegenburg you have the option of shortening the tour before reaching Train by taking Hop Tour Connecting Road 1 towards Niederumelsdorf.
In that case, though, you would miss one of Hallertau’s finest beer gardens, at Schloss Ratzenhofen. So, after taking a break, continue via Elsendorf until just outside Mainburg. Here you leave the Abens Valley and follow Hop Tour Connecting Road 2 as far as Walkertshofen.
Strolling through the old town of Abensberg is pleasant, and the municipal museum at Herzogskasten is worth visiting. A visit to the unique Kuchlbauer Tower designed by Friedensreich Hundertwasser and the KunstHausAbensberg exhibition centre are not to be missed.
Rest StopBrauerei Kuchlbauer mit Kuchlbauer Turm
Aunkofener Stub'n - Wirtshaus beim Lauberger
Tips and hints
- Kloster Biburg
- Dom der Hallertau in Siegenburg
- Hallertauer Hopfenhimmel
- Schloss Ratzenhofen
- Altstadt Abensberg
- Kuchlbauers Bierwelt
ParkingFree parking is available at the big Gillamooswiese car park in Abensberg, not far from the old town, except at fair time in early September.
Author’s map recommendations
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.